The country sections in the Department of Criminal Law at the Institute are made up of individual countries, groups of countries, geographical regions, legal families, or even entire continents. A major focus of the work consists of the continuous monitoring of criminal law developments in those countries, especially within the context of legal reforms, significant court decisions, and important publications.
Because the resources of a Max Planck Institute are limited, not all countries can be covered to the same extent. The sections thus set priorities – with approval of the director of the Department of Criminal Law – and study the individual countries with differing intensities. To see which countries belong to which sections, click on a region in the map above or look at the list below.
The North America Section covers the following countries:
The Latin America Section covers the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Puerto Rico
The Sub-Saharan Africa Section covers the following countries:
- Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire)
- South Africa
The Asia Section covers the following countries:
- Hong Kong
- People's Republic of China
The Oceania Section covers the countries:
- New Zealand
Because this section is currently not staffed, these countries are being monitored by the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland Section.
The Middle East Section consists of two Subsections:
The Subsection Turkey, Iran, and the Arab States covers the following countries:
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
The Subsection Israel covers the country of Israel.
- The European Union in its entirety is handled by the (Topical) Section European Criminal Law
- Germany does not have a section of its own. Instead, German criminal law is handled on a project-by-project basis by various staff members.
- The Austria/Switzerland/Netherlands Section
- The Nordic Section covers the countries of
- The France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Monaco Section
- The United Kingdom & Northern Ireland Sectioncovers
- The United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland
- Republic of Ireland
- The Italy/Greece Section
- The Spain and Portugal Section
- The Eastern, Central, and Southeastern Europe Sectioncovers
- in Asia:
- in Europe
- Czech Republic
- Federal Republic of Yugoslavia
- Slovak Republic