If you would like to visit the MPI as a guest for short- or long-term research purposes, please pay particular attention to the information for guests and visitors at the Institute. Upon clicking the link, you will find forms to fill out as well as detailed information regarding your stay.
For media-related issues, please contact the Public Relations Office. The Public Relations Officer will refer you to a contact person at the Institute or provide you with the requested information as well as visual material from an expert on the subject.
For legal information, in particular with regard to inquiries concerning legal regulations in other countries, please take into consideration the following:
The provision of legal advice is not the task of the Institute. As a rule, general legal information is not given out by the Institute. However, if the sought-after information lies within the scope of the Institute’s interests and if research capacity permits, the Institute may agree to provide to courts and other appropriate civil authorities information regarding foreign and international law and to answer their queries concerning comparative law. Information will only be given to notaries and attorneys in exceptional circumstances. We ask for your understanding in this regard.
The Institute is not obliged to answer specific questions and reserves the right to decline a request if it does not fall within the scope of the Institute’s interests or if it exceeds the Institute's research capacity. As a rule, legal information is provided at a charge.
For legal questions, please contact the Expert Opinion Section.
If you have a question but are unsure whom to address, please send your inquiry to the Public Relations Office.
Max Planck Institute for Foreign
and International Criminal Law
79100 Freiburg i. Br.
Tel.: +49 (761) 7081-0
Fax: +49 (761) 7081-294
- Basel/Mulhouse Airport (France/Germany exit).
- Take the SBG AirBus (approx. 45 minutes) to Freiburg "Hauptbahnhof" (main train station).
- Alternatively, drive by car to the German border, then take the A5 Autobahn north to Freiburg.
- Autobahn A5.
- Exit "Freiburg-Mitte."
- Continue in the direction "Freiburg-Mitte."
- Turn off to the right onto "Günterstalstraße" in the direction of "Schauinsland."
- To get to the MPI building Günterstalstraße 73: After driving roughly 1 km, you will see the building on the left-hand side of the street. This building houses the reception area.
- To get to the MPI building Fürstenbergstraße 19: After driving roughly 1 km, turn left onto Türkenlouisstraße. After approx. 200 m, turn left again onto Fürstenbergstraße. After 80 m, the building is visible on the right-hand side.
- Take the IC, EC, or ICE to Freiburg "Hauptbahnhof" (main train station).
- From the main train station, take tram no. 3 (direction "Vauban") or no. 5 (direction "Rieselfeld") to the stop "Johanneskirche." There, change to tram no. 2 (direction "Günterstal") and get off at the second tram stop "Holbeinstraße."
- To get to the MPI building Günterstalstraße 73, walk back roughly 100 m in the direction of the city center. The building is on the right-hand side of the street. This building houses the reception area.
- To get to the MPI building Fürstenbergstraße 19, walk another 200 m towards the city center before turning right onto Türkenlouisstraße. After approx. 200 m, turn left onto Fürstenbergstraße. After 80 m, the building is visible on the right-hand side.
Helpful links for getting to the MPI
The webcam on the roof of the MPI provides new pictures every five minutes. The pictures are taken in the direction of the city with the spire of the Freiburg Münster, the Schwabentor, and the Schlossberg all visible. Here you can get an idea of current weather conditions in Freiburg.
For additional and earlier pictures as well as weather videos see mpi-freiburg.de/#webcam.